Forums

Topic: Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door!!!!!!!

Posts 261 to 280 of 509

PikminMarioKirby

@Grumblevolcano Nintendo really hates this game, first amazon, now walmart (probably not). I hope that this is just the game selling insanely well that they can’t keep up
with demand.

Some of my favorite games are Paper Mario and TTYD, SM64, Luigi’s Mansion, Pikmin 1-4, Kirby Forgotten Land, and the DKC OG trilogy (especially the first 2). All on Switch besides LM. Nintendo please bring it back!

Novamii

@PikminMarioKirby No kidding, it really does help that you can pre-download stuff ahead of release. It's all good now, finally got the eshop to load and will probably download it while I take care of other stuff. Nothing surprising though, my ISP is absolute dogwater and are the only option around. Legit, my download speed is like 1.5 GB per hour, and that's on a good day. XD

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: Staring at my backlog, and accomplishing nothing! :)

Tyranexx

Grumblevolcano wrote:

So it seems TTYD preorders are being cancelled for Walmart (US).

Can confirm, just received an email a little bit ago. At least they sent a coupon code for $25 off my next order of $45 or more...but now I gotta figure something else out. Seems to be a Nintendo directive where the game will be in-store only. At this point, I don't trust another online preorder, and I don't want the game digital. Guess I'll have to try Walmart first thing in the morning before work...which means getting up even earlier to drive across town....ugh.

My guess is preorder stock was severely underestimated.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Switch), Pepper Grinder (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

PikminMarioKirby

@Novamii Hopefully it'll be done downloading soon! It's unreal seeing this game on my home screen.

@Tyranexx That seems pretty likely. They might've not expected the game to be as high demand as it is, so they are effectively trying to spread out sales among the different stores, possibly pushing for people to get digital instead.

Some of my favorite games are Paper Mario and TTYD, SM64, Luigi’s Mansion, Pikmin 1-4, Kirby Forgotten Land, and the DKC OG trilogy (especially the first 2). All on Switch besides LM. Nintendo please bring it back!

PikminMarioKirby

In a recent Nintendo Switch news article about Paper Mario TTYD's new features, there was a bit at the bottom of the article I found interesting.

[Context: previously talking about 7 new features, so when it says "OK, that's all for now.", it is referring to the fact that the article is done listing new features.]

"OK, that's all for now. It's possible that there are a couple more surprises to find, but we'll leave that in your capable hands!"

So, the "couple more surprises" seem to be implying new features. This could very well be slight changes to something late-game, so they want to avoid spoiling it. This could also be hinting at something post-game (whether something bigger or smaller) that they also didn't want to spoil before release.

Edited on by PikminMarioKirby

NintendoByNature

Grumblevolcano wrote:

So it seems TTYD preorders are being cancelled for Walmart (US).

I never trust Walmart. Bestbuy,target and GS are my go-to places.

NintendoByNature

Uncle_Franklin

what is the North American pre-order bonus?

Uncle_Franklin

Tyranexx

@PikminMarioKirby This seems to be a US issue only to my knowledge. What's weird is there was a similar situation with Amazon about a month ago, around the time I placed my Walmart preorder. That affected other games as well, like Endless Ocean: Luminous and Luigi's Mansion 2. I also learned when hunting around for info that apparently Amazon currently isn't selling eShop gift cards either. That admittedly has raised my eyebrows more.

I'm not sure what's going on. Not sure if Nintendo is ticked off at some larger retailers, preorder volume was underestimated, if this is some weird way to curb scalping, or some or none of the above. Sadly, when it comes to physical game purchases within reasonable driving distance, I'm stuck with either GS or Walmart.

Currently playing: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (Switch), Pepper Grinder (Switch)

PikminMarioKirby

@Uncle_Franklin I am not sure if there are any. Sometimes they are revealed shortly before, however that seems more unlikely now that Amazon US and Walmart US both seem to be stopping pre-orders.

@Tyranexx Yeah, US seems to be having it the worst. I'm not sure if it's effecting other countries. In Japan, Paper Mario TTYD is still on Amazon and is selling very well. It seems like it's more than a TTYD problem, however that seems to be a key part of the issue, especially with Walmart.

Who knows what's going on. It could be anything. I believe Nintendo left no comment when asked about the Amazon stuff. It's all very odd, I wonder what's going on behind the scenes and if they'll ever officially say what happened.

Sadly the options are becoming more limited. I hope that other countries and stores don't have this effect.

Personally, I think cancelling pre-orders for a game that releases in just one week is a horrible idea. Now people will have to quickly find another place to buy it.

Eel

My Amazon Mexico preorder is still there, and in fact it went down in price since last time I checked. So that’s nice.

It’s strange that they would cancel the preorders from the US site though! Perhaps you can try using the Mexican one a see if they can ship it up the border.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

PikminMarioKirby

@Eel Yeah right now it seems to mainly be effecting the US. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be effecting much at most other places, let's hope it stays that way.

PikminMarioKirby

What changes does everyone think will be added to TTYD besides the ones already announced? (For reference, Nintendo seemingly hinted at something else, likely something smaller)

Personally, I'm thinking about some minor change to how events play out in one of the chapters in the 2nd half of the game. If it was something a bit bigger, I'd say possibly some new post-game thing, whether it be new troubles, something to do with Glitz Pit, new dialogue for NPCs, 2nd Pit of 100 Trials/boss refights (least likely in my opinion), or maybe some feature from Origami King could make a return (I say this because the remake changed the blue pipes to be more like the pipes in Origami King, as well as music/concept art being a new addition to TTYD which also happened in Origami King. So something else similar to something from Origami King could return.)

Tyranexx

@PikminMarioKirby Normally I'd lean towards "demand outstrips supply" in these scenarios, but the "Nintendo will only be offering this item in stores" part of the email is a specifically weird call-out. Plus, I'd think supply issues would affect other countries? Unless demand is beyond ridiculous here. I don't know how popular TTYD is outside of how very inflated GCN copies are.

If this had happened more in advance, I wouldn't feel so rushed. I might try preordering elsewhere online - thinking BB - but at this point I highly doubt I'll get the game on launch day.

PikminMarioKirby

@Tyranexx The game is popular, but I think's its more than that, since you can't even get the digital version on Amazon.

Yeah if they were cancelling pre-orders it should've been sooner. It's such a rushed process since it's less than a week away!

BestBuy might be the best option for that, unless you pick it up somewhere. I really hope that BestBuy and other stores don't shut down pre-orders as well.

Tyranexx

@PikminMarioKirby I went ahead and made a preorder through Best Buy. Fingers crossed it doesn't get canceled for an arbitrary reason. Third time's the charm...I hope.

I've not checked Amazon, didn't bother since I heard of the previous reports. That's actually why I went with Walmart to begin with. I didn't realize that affected digital purchases as well; I'd assumed it was only physical stock. Very weird, unless Amazon only had a limited number of codes for some odd reason.

Not sure we'll ever know unless someone official speaks up.

PikminMarioKirby

@Tyranexx Yes hopefully it’ll work this time!
I never even thought about a limited amount of digital codes per store, that could also be the answer!

I hope we do hear something, this whole situation is very odd.

Uncle_Franklin

I don't know what the issue is, but at this stage, be it piracy or copies being released early, I think it would have been best for Nintendo to just eat it; this action just makes them look appalling and anti-comsumer.

I'm intending to buy it on the day in Japan, have no skin in the game.

Uncle_Franklin

PikminMarioKirby

@Uncle_Franklin I mean a lot of major 1st party game gets leaked beforehand, so why change approach with this one? Unless Nintendo thinks more people will try to justify pirating this game early since it’s a remake? Still doesn’t make sense to me.

Japan still seems unaffected by these recent cancellations, thankfully!

Uncle_Franklin

So in Japan there's a kind of game manual lite for this Thousand Year Door, similar to the one for Super Mario RPG.

Was surprised, as I would've expected to see it on this site.

Uncle_Franklin

PikminMarioKirby

@Uncle_Franklin Oh I didn’t hear about that, that sounds awesome!

You could always contact NintendoLife and suggest that as an article!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic